I have always been that mom who didnt care if her kids ate in the living room. I know tons of people who make food stay in the kitchen but I just have never been that way. I grew up eating more meals in the living room on a TV tray then in the kitchen. My kids usually eat their meals in their seats but often eat snacks in the living room.
I am pretty sure that if I opened up my vacuum bag it would consist of puffs, gold fish, cheese its and cheerios. Well my perception totally changed last Sunday!
I was sitting on the couch and the kids were playing right in front of me while snacking on some cheerios. My 9 month old, who often eats cheerios with no problem, all the sudden started choking. When I say choking, i dont mean swallowed wrong and coughing a little, I mean full on choking, face turning colors, not able to breathe choking!
I picked him up and was hitting him on the back, searching his mouth etc, he puked up some cheerios but still was not breathing. I immediately called 911. The lady walked me through infant CPR and after I laid him on his back and gave him several pumps he started breathing right as the Police came rushing through the door. The police were here in less than 3 minutes, which made me incredibly happy. He came in and checked him out and cancelled the paramedics. By that time Jax was smiling and happy and acting like nothing ever happened.
Through the rush of adrenaline i was surprisingly calm but as soon as he left I burst into tears.
Its so easy to think Oh that will never happen to me, and I have often thought that. But over the last 2 years I have known someone that was killed in a plane crash, car crash, boat crash, leukemia, cancer, overdose & brain tumor. Life is short and I am learning to never take it for granted!
Last week while browsing Pinterest I came across this pin
It saved me last night during dinner! We were out to eat after church and when my hubs stepped away to the bathroom, Jax started choking on a lil piece of tortilla. He was gagging and turned red and i pulled him out of his chair and did just as illustrated above! He puked ALLLLLLL over and was fine. I was covered in puke, our bag and Jax were covered in puke but it was ok because he was ok. It is so important to know how to help your baby if something like this should happen!
Needless to say I am pretty sure he isnt having any more things that arent totally pureed for quite a while!