Monday, December 20, 2010

RIP Tramp! It was a rough day to say the least...



My dad was fishing at the lake the day after Christmas in 1999 and this little old man came up to him to chat while walking this cute little puppy on a leash.  My dad leaned down to pet the puppy and play with him a little while chatting and fishing.  The next thing he knew the old man was squealing away in his car and he left the puppy, leash and all next to my dad!  What was he to do? So he brought him home!  I fell immediately in love with him and since I had gotten the re- release of Lady and the Tramp for Christmas that year I decided to name him Tramp!  We became the best of buds!  He slept next to me most nights!  He grew HUGE and would hog up the whole bed!  At night I would say lets go to bed and I would have to race him to the bed and get my place or else he would be in the middle of my pillow!  Its funny how we sacrifice comfort for a pet!  I loved that dog and would sleep curled up on the edge of the bed many many nights!!!

Today was a very rough day! I had planned on spending the day at my parents house with my Tramp knowing that he was in his last days.  My mom called me this morning saying he was doing very badly and she was going to take him to the vet.  I was worried they would want to put him to sleep but she assured me that even if that happened she would bring him home for the rest of the day and do it later so we could say our good byes.  Well, they said he was in his final stages of heart failure and would need to be put down or else he would be suffering and slowly suffocating to death.  So I packed up the kids and headed to spend some time with him!  I decided that since he had been my dog my husband and I would take him to the vet after he got off work so my dad wouldn’t have to do it.  My dad just had to have another long time pet put down a few weeks prior due to cancer.  When I got to my mom’s house, Tramp was doing much worse and we made the decision we couldn’t let him suffer any longer and I had to take him right then. 
I was kinda scared to take him alone with out the hubs but I couldn’t handle watching him suffer any longer!  I got there got him in and said good bye and rubbed his nose till he was gone.  He just looked at me in the eyes and didn’t even seem scared and it was just like he went to sleep.  It happened so fast, I didn’t even realize they were doing it yet till the doctor said okay his heart isn’t beating any more.  I started sobbing like a baby of course! Soooo sad!  I hope that you never have to put down an animal!  It totally sucks but I know it was time and he lived a long happy comfortable life!

RIP Tramp!   It was a happy 11 years with you!!!  Had so much fun playing fetch, going to the lake, going for walks and runs and for having a snuggle buddy when I lived at home!  He really was an amazing sweet cuddly friendly happy dog!
I hope there are dogs in heaven!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Losing a pet is so hard. Our cat became a diabetic after my middle child was born and we had to have her put to sleep. It was horrible, especially telling my oldest son.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Misty I am soooo sorry. Putting my dog down was the worst thing I have ever had to do. I cried so hard I could not breathe. I ALWAYS think about her and she's been gone since summer 2003. I've still never gotten another dog. I just can't get attached to dogs anymore. :( You did the right thing though not letting her suffer. Praying for you friend. (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I LOVE reading all your comments and I try my hardest to respond to each of them via email!